CCVA Textbook - Updated and Even Better!
Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice, 2nd Edition
If your organization engages volunteers, you already know what volunteers contribute to the mission. Effectively managing, administering and deploying your volunteers can help you achieve your organization's mandate. Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice, now in its second edition, is the only book that addresses the full body of knowledge required by professional administration and management of volunteers. Whether you run an all-volunteer group, a nonprofit organization, or public sector agency, you will find in this practice-oriented book a comprehensive foundation for effective volunteer engagement.
Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice is organized around the five core competencies which serve as a foundation for the profession of volunteer administration: ethics, organizational management, human resources management, accountability, and leadership and advocacy. These competencies have been identified by CCVA through a Practice Analysis study of the field with input from managers of volunteers in a wide variety of settings.
- Introduces and helps to implement the best volunteer management competencies
- Examines the five core competencies for volunteer management and administration:
Human resource management
Leadership and advocacy
- Provides a solid theoretical framework and professional context on how to properly support volunteer engagement
- Supported by research, statistics, and perspectives from the leading academics in this field
- Provides proven approaches to practice from credentialed professionals in the field of volunteer administration
What's New in This Edition
- Updated research and references throughout the textbook
- More consistent style and terminology, and greater balance between academic and practical content
- Additional charts added for certain concepts, enabling greater understanding of key principles, and quicker reference to practice materials
- Significant updates to the following:
- Data management, in particular, collecting data under new, stricter privacy law regimes
- Risk management, including new variations on risk management
- Quality improvement for leadership and learning
- Case studies added to the Advocacy chapter
- Competency tips added to the Community Collaboration & Alliances chapter
Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice is written by a diverse group of 21 authors from Canada and the United States with content relevant to both nations and others. There are chapters from academic researchers who provide a theoretical basis for sound management, as well as chapters written by practitioners who hold the CVA credential and provide a “field experience” perspective.
CVA candidates are encouraged to read and study this textbook as the primary reference for the CVA Exam. In addition, managers, coordinators and leaders of volunteers will benefit from the principles and theories presented in this text, as a foundation for other "how to" books on their shelves. Nonprofit sector educators can use this as a tool for ensuring curriculum development is consistent with real-world practice as verified by a credible practice analysis process. Consultants and trainers in the volunteer administration and management field will find this book helpful as a core reference on which to base their work and share with their clients. Lastly, leaders in not-for-profit organizations and public agencies will find credible information to strengthen the function of volunteer administration within their organizations, so that volunteers are maximized as a human resource, and potential risks and challenges are reduced.
How to Order
Volunteer Administration: Professional Practice, 2nd Edition may be purchased from CCVA. The cost, including shipping charges, is shown below:
Book plus shipping within the U.S. $ 86 US
Book plus shipping to Canada or Mexico $ 97 US
Book plus shipping beyond North America $ 102 US
- Purchase online: Place your order and pay via credit card.
- Hard copy order form: Print an order form (PDF) and mail with your check. Purchase orders are accepted.
- Canadians are encouraged to purchase directly from the publisher, LexisNexis Canada, in order to avoid shipping delays.